Greater Collegedale School System Mission Statement
We are a Seventh-day Adventist school established to educate, equip, and inspire students
to be critical thinkers who serve others and reflect Christ’s character.
The Greater Collegedale School System (GCSS) was organized in 1968. The first chairman of the GCSS board was Pastor Fred Fuller. This single board oversaw the school operations at AWS and CA, which continues to this day. Two separate and distinct educational programs were brought together at that time to form the GCSS.
AWS has operated as a constituency based school on the present site since 1958. CAMS was previously a part of AWS. CA was founded as the Graysville School in 1892. Later the name was changed to Southern Training School and in 1916 it was moved to its present location at Collegedale, Tennessee, where it reopened as Southern Junior College. Grades nine through twelve were organized as an integral part of the Junior College program during those early years. In 1936 the secondary school was given separate status and was renamed Collegedale Academy. CA was first accredited with the State of Tennessee in 1936 and in 1938 was granted accreditation with SACS. The first four-year seniors from CA graduated in 1946.
Since organizing as GCSS in 1968, change has continued to occur. Additional facilities were added to AWS in the late 1970's and CA with the Science and Technology Building in 2005. In May 2009 construction began on Collegedale Adventist Middle School (CAMS) and was completed in July 2010. The doors opened for classes at CAMS on time at the start of the 2010-2011 school year. The Montessori Early Childhood Center began during the 2011-2012 school year. The Collegedale SDA Church was the only constituent church for the school system in 1968. The McDonald Road and Spanish-American SDA churches joined over the next few years. The Collegedale Community Church, Hamilton Community Church and Hispanic Community Church were added as constituent churches in 2012.
The GCSS has a rich history with the constant focused upon providing a strong Seventh-day Adventist Education to generations of children that pass through this valley.